Favorite. Poem. Ever.
Ozymandias
I met a traveler from an antique land
Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read,
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed,
And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look upon my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
-Percy Bysshe Shelley
1792-1822
I met a traveler from an antique land
Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read,
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed,
And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look upon my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
-Percy Bysshe Shelley
1792-1822

7 Comments:
Been a favorite of mine since ninth grade, I think.
Can we expect an artist's rendition of Ozymandias? Or was Ozy a tall black guy who drew stuff?
Click on the title of the poem, Mr. InterwebZ.
Heh. I'm stupid. :)
Me like, though.
Did you do more than one sketch before settling on this composition? Would the legs be walking? or more of a soldier's/kings stance? helmet maybe? I like the combination of graphite and pen.
yeah, i always enjoyed this one, too.
No. One sketch. It appeared in my head this way, and I did it.
I don't think he would have had a helmet; I was thinking more Greek philosopher type pose. And walking isn't something you see a lot of statues representing - certainly a feat worthy of a statue of ol' Ozy. :)
i like the empty eye socket.
Post a Comment
<< Home