11.24.2008

Standards.


Standard comic.
Originally uploaded by TRoyal

I was looking through some cartoons in some magazines I had around the house, and this kinda comic kept coming up.

In mens' magazines, the barkeep/two dudes at a bar motif is plentiful, with a single line of dialogue as the punch line. I wanted to see fI could get the drawing down, and I think I have the gist of it. All those years looking at mens' magazines, I suppose.

Obviously, the art is in the punchline, and there isn't necessarily the line work that's going to get the attention. In doing what I do, it's somewhat difficult to separate technical proficiency from execution of an idea, joke, or whatever. And I've struggled with rectifying that in my mind.

Execution doesn't cover for a crappy idea, except in graphic arts, where breathtaking effort can at least delay the inevitable destruction of the idea in question. On the other hand, with my style, I don't want the execution to suck, thus pages and pages of trying to get arms and hands right.

I suppose, in my style, that I can only do so much, but it's not going to be as detailed or eye-catching as some others'. Then again, I have to bring the game up to where I can feel good and can set myself apart from a crowded market, some of which whose sites I look at weekly or see on message boards.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home